About Santa’s Angels
Santa’s Angels is a group of individuals who organise, fundraise, and carry out a surprise Christmas morning visit by Santa and his elves to hundreds of people in the Charlottetown area. We are a 100% volunteer-based group that hopes to reach those who, for one reason or another, are not able to provide Christmas gifts and food for their children. Santa and the elves bring food, toys, and gifts on each visit, and each package is customised based upon the needs of the individual or family.
How it all started
It all started with Father Stephen Allen, Kenny Zakem and Don Wright in 2004…
They had found themselves with a handful of leftover toys from some past donations and decided to put those toys in the hands of those that may need them the most, who maybe couldn’t afford Christmas gifts of their own… or those that just needed a little bit of hope this time of year.
So they set out early Christmas morning in 2004 to play Santa and personally distribute these toys across town.
They may have been doing some good there, but they also received so much joy and gratitude in return. And so they decided to make this an annual event and spread as much happiness and hope as they could, every Christmas morning every year from then on. And like that, “Santa’s Angels” were born.
And what a wonderful town we live in – because volunteers, sponsors, all kinds of givers quickly got on board – to help in any way they could. We’re truly blessed to be part of a community like ours here in Charlottetown.
- Founded in 2004 by Kenny Zakem, Father Stephen Allen, and Don Wright
- 100% volunteer-based
- Operates democratically in
- conjunction with Organising Committee & Board of Directors
- Based in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- To create an exciting Christmas morning surprise to those that, for one reason or another, may not be able to have a Christmas celebration on their own
- To visit individuals/groups who may not be on any other charity list
- Every home visit includes Santa with his Elves bringing some goodies and gifts for children
- Some home visits are requested by the families themselves
- Other home visits are complete surprises: friends/family nominate who we visit
- All visits take place on Christmas day starting at 07:00 am
- Patients at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Sherwood Home
- The Addiction Centre
- Group Homes
- Senior homes
a snapshot of last christmas
That’s right! 218 houses were visited by one of 10 Santas and teams on Christmas morning, with gifts and food in hand.
For the families we couldn’t reach on Christmas morning (those who live outside of our delivery routes) – we offered them the opportunity to pick up their packages before Christmas.
307 total individual households received gifts and food from Santa’s Angels. Some of the families knew we we were coming; for others, it was a complete surprise.
We had a dedicated team to visit three senior homes and another route visited patients at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
It’s hard to count exactly home many because we also pack special care packages for last minute, unplanned, surprise stops along the way.
An overwhelming number of volunteers worked alongside the core organising committee to fulfill this year’s mission.